How I Start My Classes


There are so many ways to start class which allow students to ease into the target language.  In the past I would often have a few questions on the board for the students to write down answers to.  They often mixed together the topic that we are currently working on with old grammar and structures to help keep them fresh.  
This year I have changed things up, as has our status and school schedule this year (hybrid, all "green", all virtual, block scheduling, traditional, etc).  We have had more schedules and modes than an Oscar host has outfit changes!  

On Mondays I like to start the class the same way.  I made this Google Slides presentation that I use.  The ideas for date and day, special day,  how are you, and weather slides came from a Spanish teacher's social media page (but I cannot remember which).   Excuse my mess, I have been adding to this throughout the year and moving older slides to the bottom.  

I added a quote of the week and long word of the week where students guess the correct translation.  We talk about how to think about the words or parts of words the students already know to help them figure out the meaning of the quotes and long words.  It is a nice short way to work on reading comprehension strategies.   The long words have been great for practicing pronunciation too.  We also have a rejoinder/useful phrase or proverb of the week.  I use one phrase for German 1 and a different one for the level 3 and 4.  If they use the phrase during the week, students get extra speaking points.  These really help students to sound more natural in their speaking and using idomatic expressions is a big plus on the AP exam.   

Then in the lower levels, I use the slides to talk about the date and if anyone has a birthday or anything special going on and to chat about the weather.  The upper levels do not need the support of the slides.  

Sometimes I use the presentation later in the week to start class again (just for the day, date, and weather).  

I have also started using Special Person Interviews in Levels 1 and even 3 this year.  There is more information on Special Person Interviews on Bryce Hedstom's website.  I have had my students ask classmates the questions, make predictions about what the interviewee will say, ask who said this afterwards if I interview 2 people, or asked students to write down as much as they can remember about the interviewee. We did do March Music Madness so the Special Person Interviews took a time out.  

As students walk in to my room I like to have music videos playing or videos of people walking or driving through a city in the target culture like this one .  Sometimes I play the walking and driving videos during class, especially if it is a quieter day or I know some students will get done with an acitivity more quickly than others.  

Another thing I have done just a few times this year is display artwork on my screen as students walk in and we will chat about the picture to start class.  Colors, shapes, people, animals, moods so many things can be discussed.  Reviewing or spiraling older concepts is so important in the TL! 

Some days we also start with partner questions or lightening questions and in the past we also did free reading Fridays.  Next year I will definitely get back to a free reading day.  Students simply read for enjoyment for 10 minutes at the start of class.  

Here are a few of my resources that might be helpful to you in starting your classes.  

Comments

  1. I can't wait to start free reading again. We're not allowed to hand out any books this year :(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a bummer! I so hope next school year is normal! Daumen drücken!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being an empathetic human, but especially being an empathetic educator.

Assessing Interpretive Communication Skills

Low Prep Reading Activities