Assessing Interpretive Communication Skills

 There has been much talk about the National German Exam.  Some teachers may have given it before their winter break while others will return to school and fit it in to their schedules before the administration deadline.  Even if you do not administer the National German Exam, I think the question structure is very similar to the AP Exam.  I was on the NGE Test Writing Committee and have attended a few phenomenal AP Summer workshops lead by Angelika Becker and Linda Zins-Adams.  Both experiences helped me learn how to look for authentic resources and write questions in order for my students to practice the skills needed.  The AATG website of course has lots of information and practice exams as well.  https://www.aatg.org/

Test Structure and Types for Questions: 

The listening and reading section questions are both written in a similar way.  Most of the listening resources are actually now videos with one or two pure listening resources.  All resources are authentic videos found on different websites and nothing is created for the NGE itself.  I believe the same is true for the AP Exam, but don't quote me on that.  The audio resource or video are usually about one to two minutes long and include questions on: the main idea, supporting details, vocabulary, inference and audience.  Most of the questions fall under the supporting details category and would be what I used to only write before I started administering the NGE and AP exams.  Each resource has between 5 and 10 total questions.

An example of a main idea question would be something like: What would a good alternative title for the resource be? or What does the reporter/speaker think about XYZ (whatever they are talking about).

For vocabulary questions, test writers would try to pick a word from the resource that the students most likely would not have known as prior knowledge and as what the word means or a synonym for the word.  

Inference questions are the hardest to write and the hardest for students to answer, even in their first language.  This might be something like, what could another question for the speaker be?  Where could this information be found?

Audience questions either ask who is the audience for the resource or who would be interested in the resource.  

Here's a link to a presentation I gave on tips on searching for and using authentic resources.  And this is a link to a list of tried and true authentic resources that was shared with me when I was on the test writing committee.  My favorite videos to show students in class are portions of Kann es Johannes on YouTube or WDR.  They are long videos, 25 minutes so I usually show the first few minutes then skip to the end to see if Johannes kann es.  The students really like watching the videos.  The other is Schmecksplosion; this has two friends from ages 8-13 cooking a dish together.  There is a great mix of German natives and kids who are first generation living in Germany with an immigrant background.  Some dishes are more from their family's culture with some information on the family, pictures or small videos of other countries, and the friends always introduce themselves at the beginning and talk about their hobbies.  One video I showed featured two girls who competed in belly dancing competitions together so they brought this into the video.  I was shocked many of my students had no clue about belly dancing and asked in which countries it is popular.  


Logistics of administering the NGE 

At the school where I formally worked, I asked students who would like to participate in the NGE to pay the fee and take the exam.  The other students worked on similar listening and reading activities while those tested.  Then when I switched schools, my new school had all students take the NGE and put it in their school fees.  Each section is 40 minutes long and so it takes me two class periods to administer.  The first day takes longer because the students need to fill out some registration information.  I do count each section as an interpretive assessment in my gradebook.  If students score 75% or higher on their raw score, I give them 100% on a their grade in my grade book, if they score 50%-74%, I give them a 90% and so on.  This helps them take the exam a little more seriously without too much pressure on their grade.  The students also control the videos and can pause and rewatch them.  In the real word you can always ask people to repeat what they said, so I think this is very fair. 

Reasons for administering the NGE

My students are very competitive and they really love the medals!  I also tell them this is something they can write on the college applications.  Scoring in a certain percentile on a national exam does look impressive.  I do believe it is good practice for the AP Exam, even simply taking a test in German for an extended length of time.  I am not familiar with any other proficiency based test like the APPL, STAMP, etc. so I can not speak to those.  

When my students receive medals, I tell the school board and my students are recognized at a school board meeting.  This is good advertisement for our German program at my school and put us on the school board's radar.  Unfortunately, none of my students have ever won the study trip, but a few have interviewed and a few others were eligible to interview.

Other ways of assessing interpretive communication

One of my favorite other ways to assess interpretive communication is to use Senora Chase's celebration of knowledge.  Here is a link to the copy I made in German for Level 1.  I use the same template in my upper levels, but add more supporting details required and sometimes add other tasks like to write a new title.  Students in upper levels are also expected to reword the details that they understood fully in German, where my level ones can tell me in German or English.  I like this way of assessing a lot because it is low prep for me and most of all it is interesting to see what the students pick up and understand.  They all understand different things and this allows for differentiation.  Sometimes students in level 1 take it upon themselves to add extra words or details that they understand.  I've had some write up to 15 words and 7 or 8 details which they understood.  I did not prompt them to do this at all.  I was surprised how many students took it upon themselves to do that.  On occasion I award a few extra credit points if they write extra, but I don't want them to expect that so I don't do it every time.  This again allows for differentiation in the same lesson.  



Last year it came to me to try this way of assessing out while I was introducing a new lesson.  I was introducing family vocabulary and I had Google Slides pictures of my family.  Before I would have done this with a picture talk and asked yes or no, either or, and then personal questions to my students.  I still enjoy doing this, but it can be difficult to make sure all students are actively listening.  In my gradebook our interpretive communication assessments are in their own category and at the time I also knew students only had a few grades in the category and needed more there.  I decided to print this off and tell them to write what they learned while I was talking about my family.  It worked beautifully and everyone participated.  The students even picked up difficult sentences that I said or things that I did not even realized I said until afterwards.  We did this before I gave them a vocab list for the unit.  For spelling they had to guess their best and for me as long as it is close enough to be understood, they receive points for vocab words.  I am not testing their spelling, but rather their vocabulary.  Writing this is a good reminder for me to use this method more often. 

When I return to school, I think I will make a slightly different version of this presentation on Silvester and take of more of the words so that the students focus on my speaking.  I also have this one on Sternsinger that could work.  Another way to use these presentations is to print them out, create a gallery walk, and have students use the same form but now it is a reading assessment instead of listening.  Sometimes I also call these things comprehension checks instead of quiz or assessment.  It takes the pressure off the students.  

I wish all you a wonderful winter break!  Rest up and take time for things you enjoy!  Einen Guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an empathetic human, but especially being an empathetic educator.

Low Prep Reading Activities