Incorporating Authentic Materials and Culture in a Level 1 Animal Unit

 Grüß dich!  Using authentic materials in my instruction has really lead to my students using more natural language and progressing more quickly (in some ways for some students).  I am a planner and do teach units.  Students love talking about favorite animals and pets alike and the animal unit is normally a class favorite.  

When using authentic materials I remind students that it is okay that they do not understand every word.  I don't understand every word in English!  I also tell them to be proud of themselves for being able to take away major topics, a few details, and a few new words from an authentic material.  Students will notice so many new things (things I overlook and don't even think about until they point it out) about the language and culture from authentic materials.  

When looking for authentic materials, I will google in the target language and add phrases like simple language or explained for kids to the end.  Say I want to teach about bees.  In German I would search for Biene für Kinder erklärt, Biene leichte Sprache, or Biene einfach erklärt.  This may help find resources that are a little simpler to work with.

 Here are some ways I have brought more authentic materials and culture into my animals unit:

I believe on Facebook I came across a news clip of animals stuck in the snow in Austria.  I used that video along with a headline and a few sentences from a news article about the snow.  Adding in a few extra pictures with words I knew the students didn't know helped to support the students without using English.  Here's a link to the video and parts of the article I put together.  The students then answer comprehension questions.  I wrote the questions in German and in English and told them they can answer in either language.  At first I wanted everything in the target language, but after reading several other blogs and teacher opinions, I do see the value in letting the students reflect and show what they know in the first language at the lower levels.  It suprises me how many students will try it in German or do a little Denglisch- German English mix.  This video led to a debate if the animal was a deer or a goat and many students were surprised when I told them it was a mountain goat.  

In this unit we talk about the importance of bees.  Here are a few infographics and websites about bees.  The students make posters about what they can do to help bees.  The titles and pictures are the only things that really need to be understood in order to get tips for helping bees.  

The German language has lots of idioms that use animals.  This website has 7 idioms or commonly used words that have to do with pigs.  One of my favorites ist "Da steppt der Bär."  These resources will be too hard for level one but could be used with upper levels.  I will probably look for comics or memes to help them be more comprehensible for the lower levels.  


For homework/ virtual work I have an assignment for students to look up websites or social media pages for different zoos.  They simply write the names of animals and a list of words they understand.  I hope to encourage them to follow these and trick them into learning more German on their own time.  Here's that assignment.

It can also be fun to explore other cultures outside of the target culture.  This year we are talking about the Chinese Zodiac signs.  Students will say if their Zodiac signs are true to their personalities.  This website has a great list of adjectives for each Zodiac sign.

I don't want this to get to long but fairytales and the black forest or national parks also fit in great to this unit!

Don't be afraid of those authentic resources!  Dive in! 

Check out my pins for more resources for the animal unit.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an empathetic human, but especially being an empathetic educator.

Assessing Interpretive Communication Skills

Low Prep Reading Activities